pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] moving on III

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] moving on III
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:33:06 -0700

Are folks interested in using the kind of wiki Rich and Lawrence have
described as our shared web workspace?

And who is going to "build" it?

curious,
*Stephanie

"Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net> wrote:

Richard Morris wrote:

> Whats going through my mind is having a wiki page
> with
> Topic name
> Keywords - a number of keywords describing the topic
> Intro - short paragraph intoducing topic
> (can use this in search results)
> Main text - rest of text
> Links - place to add links
> References - place to add references
> Names of plants - add plant names here so can cross ref
> with main db.

Using a wiki to gather information in these categories is what I would
like to accomplish
and is the reason I suggested using wiki in tandem with the database.

Here is source info for a typical wikipage, in this case:
Kinship Gardening
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/KinshipGardening

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
<head>
<!-- $Id: head.tmpl,v 1.5 2002/12/15 01:30:47 carstenklapp Exp $ -->

skeleton of the entire plant kindom. In practical terms, it allows us
to identify and preserve a representative sampling, subsets from the
diverse biological groupings which constitute the family album of the
plant gene pool. It also opens a window into the analysis of specific
characteristics. For instance, Dr. Kapuler was fascinated to learn
that carrots and ginseng are relatives, and that many medicinal plants
fall mainly into distinct groups. In theory, this Kinship roadmap can
serve as an encoded genetic database for nations and bioregions to use as
a systematic method for conserving diversity. (quoted from the
Seeds of Change website) />
<base href="http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/"; />

Is the above example of XML coding adequate to implement with wikipages
what Rich describes can be done with participating networked
websites sharing XML-coded pages?

Richard Morris wrote:
> The independent media centre's (IMC's) are a network of sites
> publishing alternative content (often of a leftfield
> nature).
>
> http://www.indymedia.org/or/
> http://www.indymedia.org.uk/
> http://seattle.indymedia.org/
> etc.
>
> I think they are an interesting model to follow.
> An important part for me is that they are a network
> of cooperating sites. They use XML to share their
> headlines around the network and also include them
> in sites like slashdot.
>
> I think networks of sites are an important part
> of the permaculture information web. For one we will
> be a network of at least two site, the pfaf site
> and permaculture.info. I am very keen on
> sharing my links
> sharing event details
> so someone can publish an event on the pfaf site
> and it can appear on the piw site.
>
> Building a network between the different permaculture
> site I feel is very important and in some ways
> makes the host question disappear.

This describes something I think we should use permaculture.info
for whenever it becomes possible to add such an extranet.