pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] moving on III

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] moving on III
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:56:43 -0700

John Schinnerer wrote:

If it's ibiblio or nothing, then I support you going with the ORM approach so we can stay as object-oriented as possible given that it'll be MySQL RDB on the back end.

And if it's ibiblio or nothing and you do take the ORM on MySQL development platform route, I completely agree there is no need to do anything more regarding buying hardware for ibiblio. I gather you'll have what you need with their existing systems and we can devote all our attentions and resources to development, testing and data-gathering.

John:

Can you provide a layman's explanation of ORM with MySQL and what the
default/alternative would be?
What are the advantages offered by ORM as the object-oriented approach?

Whhat does object-oriented mean in the ocntext of what we are doing and how
does it fiffer from
non-OO methods?

OK if you just want to refer me to a text on the subject.