pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] [synthesis][4]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][4]
  • Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:36:29 -0700

hello again everybody,

So it’s Sunday night, and looks like we somewhat slacked on our initial
deadlines…time to crack the whip ;)

A few things:

-PROJECT NAME – I a came up with a slew of names for the project, and
will post them tomorrow (too exhausted at the moment). I would like
everyone to please submit ideas of their own, and then all vote on the
top three by Wednesday night (what we were supposed to do by tonite, but
I'm giving us some extra time).

-ZOPE – Lawrence called me tonite and filled me in on the ZOPE situation,
thanks Lawrence. And thank you John H. for offering to correspond to
Ibiblio about this! Have you done so? When do you think you will?
Please let me know, so I can add it to the project plan.

I would like to suggest a plan in case Ibiblio is not immediately ready
to host ZOPE: in that case, I suggest we start right away to MYSQL
(apologies if the acronym is incorrect). I think we should get started
on this project ASAP, and my understanding is that we can always transfer
to ZOPE later on. Is this agreed? So John, please let us know when you
expect to hear from Ibiblio. And depending on Ibiblio’s verdict, we can
get started on either ZOPE or MYSQL – so that we can get going!

-TECHIE TRANSLATOR – Speaking of ZOPE and all that, I really appreciate
Lawrence’s phone call to me tonite. I usually skip through all the
techie details, because I assume that I won’t understand them or that I’m

not involved with this aspect of the project. But Lawrence is right, I
should definitely keep up with what’s going on in this regard. So, I
request that someone take the role of “techie translator” (you can give
yourself a new title if that one is too cheesy…but hey, cheese tastes
good with wine) – and act as a weekly news anchor, relating (in plain \
english) what has been discussed on the techie side of things. Chad,
would you be willing to do this? It would be simple, just provide a
brief summary once a week. This would be super helpful to me, and
possibly others on this list.

-LA VISION – Thank you Lawrence and Chad for responding to what I sent
out. And Chad, I completely agree that ecological relationships between
organisms are more complex than that between words – I was simply
describing the connection to Thinkmap. Certainly, the interface could
potentially get overwhelming, but I suggest we keep these intentions in
our mind as we proceed with our creative process – and assume the
challenge of making the interface abundant with information but not
overwhelming…

Can others (at least Rich and John S.) please read this and respond? I
would like all of us to have a clear understanding of our intentions
before I post a message to the Permaculture list.

-POSTING – With regards to posting to the Permaculture list, I have been
waiting for us to determine our name and agree on our common vision
before doing so. Meaning, let’s get these things together so I can draft
the post!

I’m pretty tired right now, and must get a good night’s sleep since I’m

starting a new job tomorrow (!). But when I get back from work, I will
post name ideas, and a re-edited project plan. (I assume no one will read
this until tomorrow anyway…except maybe for Rich who is in a completely
different time zone.)

Let’s please try to read and keep up with the project plan, ok?

gracias y buenas noches…
…con suenos de guacamole
*s