pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] HG and PFAF and images

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] HG and PFAF and images
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:12:18 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> So the permaculture community is going to flood PFAF with photos which
> will later be bought back with HG funding and released under copyleft?

I'm assuming they're going to "flood" HG with photos - not PFAF. Or at
least HG will be asking for image donations. We're talking about
contributions to the HG open source project here. PFAF is afaik a whole
separate thing from HG except for some possible contributions of PFAF data
to the HG project (I don't recall what has been asked/offered/decided
around that, if anything yet - not my table...).

As I understand it the PFAF photos are not available "free" to HG as-is
at-present if-ever, so we will be soliciting photos from the larger
permaculture community for use in HG. We will need to educate donors
thoroughly as to the nature of the license they are agreeing to BTW!

This will be a place where non-developers and non-funders can really
contribute in a big way if they choose - images.

> The idea that you will get the permaculture community to flood HG/PFAF
> with _anything_ without making it
> clear what they and the general public will be getting out of it seems
> strange to say the least.

If they think HG will be useful, more so with photos, then we'll get some
photos. We'll find out...

Design & Technology Services