pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] more details...

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] more details...
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 11:21:37 -0800

Hi again yalls,

A few responses:

Rich,
First of all, wonderful point about having a guild/plant database inspire
discussion on guilds from the general PC community. I agree that this is
necessary, and another valuable fruit of this project. Also, you wrote:

“How else might touch graph be used? It could possible be used as a
thinking tool to say link the important elements in a design that you are
doing. But being a bear of very little brain I haven't really
got a good idea as to how this might work.”

I wrote up an entire script of the user experience involving a GBI (such
as TouchGraph) as the user-interface. Once I find the time, I will type
it up (it is written and sketched in a journal) and send it to you all.
This script will help answer your questions:

“Just trying to picture what you have in mind:
is it something like A web of plants, maybe with a small box around
the name of each plant and with link from each plant to
other memebers of guilds its a member of. Question, what would be the
extra information in these relationships? Leading on from that. How is
this extra data collected? How is it represented in the system? Having
ricer relationships has implications on backend design, in particular the
table design for the relationship. You could have an extra field with a
textual description of the relationship.”

Yes, you are on the right track. The “extra information in these
relationships” could potentially include any of the following – the
compatibility/incompatibility of the two plants, what existing guilds/
natural plant communities they might be a part of, testimonials for
permies/gardeners who have worked with both plants, which other plants
alleviate incompatibility between these two plants, or any other aspect
of their relationship. This extra data could be included in the database
or added by users wiki-style. And yes, you could have an extra field
with this textual information. As mentioned, I will send out a user
script which might elucidate additionally…

John,
“How about soliciting some more community involvement as regards
getting/using/acquiring plant data and images and so on?”

Great idea – perhaps we should send a message to all gardening/permie/ag-
related listservs and request free images? Any volunteers?

Chad,
Great thinking to present Eden and PFAF as first generation examples of
the project. And I completely agree with your rant.

“In other words I don't want to include anything in the project that
cannot be freely redistributed. The PFAF dataset is already
distributable under a CC license which is fine, but the images are not,
in my understanding, available under a license that would allow free
redistribution. Almost completely unrelated to that is I think it would
be great to give PFAF money as part of the project.”

But I am wondering how we can make these two intentions – freely
available images/information vs. contributing funding to PFAF –
compatible? Any thoughts?

Everyone,
Thanks for all the feedback, I am enthusiastic about collaborating with
you all. I will send that user script soon…

peace
*Stephanie