pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: So...

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: So...
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:00:12 -0600

Stephanie,

Thanks for switching to iso-8859-1, my [rather obscure] email client
is about a year out from being fully unicode capable.

Stephanie Gerson writes:
> <snip>
> So I have a question for everyone:
>
> Is it possible to create the backend for the application we have been
> describing - one that allows users to create guilds/search for suitable
> plants for a guild by using plant functionality (nitrogen-fixer, etc.)
> and then display this information in a web-like interface? And allow
> users to 'click' on the relationship between two components (two plants,
> for example) to learn more about the relationship/determine
> compatibility? I believe it can be done, but I am also not expert in
> programming...

The programing isn't the hard part. The hard part is understanding
and documenting those relationships. The programing part of Eden and
PFAF is nothing compared to the data assimilated by Ken Fern.

As for a backend, one of the core design goals I had in mind when I
wrote Eden was extensibility. I even wrote two different front ends
during the process to help enforce this goal. Just take a look at
it...

> Because, wonderful news, we were accepted into the final round of
> the grant process with the Threshold Foundation. But it seems we
> are re- questioning the proposed project - are people still
> comitted to pursuing this? And if so, are there any changes we
> would make to the initially proposed project?

My personal goals are more or less articulated on galatea.org/eden. I
think the permaculture community needs a better than a wiki
*wiki*... or some kind of content and search engine combination that
contain the essential knowledge of about 50 good permaculture books
with the ability to find what your looking for almost instantly.

perl -e 'print pack"H*","7079674067616c617465612e6f72670a"'