pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: attribution

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: attribution
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:45:28 -0500

How come this is dated 3/23 and shows up on 3/25?

Richard Morris writes:
> > > Q2 Version control
> > >
> > > I feel DB would need sort of version control system.
> > > At the very least to stop some script kiddy just deleting
> > > all the data. We get quite a few 'You Suck' messages added
> > > to our readers comments so chance of corruption is high.
> >
> > /. <http://slashdot.org/> is a great example of how to handle
> > registered users and anonymous ones, self moderate, and allow the good
> > information to filter to the top. The "You Suck" posts could easily
> > be moderated into deletion. Moderation only happens by registered
> > users.
>
> There is a big difference between slashdot and what we are
> trying to do. slashdot is a readers forum where comments
> are added. It's essentially an 'add-only' style where
> information can only be added. If we are looking at a more
> wikii style general edit system, moderation becomes rather
> tricky. I suppose we could allow unregistered users to
> add data and trusted users to edit/delete. I still feel
> if edit/delete is allowed then we need to keep a
> history of changes.
>
> In my wild dreams about the
> project it would be very cool to have some sort of moderation
> system, (voting for favorite plants etc),
> but this would involve the same sort of structure
> as for atomic attribution.

Not sure I agree here... esp. in that what we are trying to do is very
much different from slashdot. The slash moderation system allows
comments to be filtered by a moderated score. I can envision where
information about any given plant [or subject] is moderated by an
accuracy score. In PCPB, this would allow the information that is
*approved bu the populace* to rise to the top and the cruft to be
deleted.

><snip>
> > Well starting sometime in early Feb. I initiated an email dialog
> > urging a change in the license. Your responses came about every 2
> > weeks falling off to not replying at all to my last message prior to
> > releasing PCPDB. I got wound up because I felt like you were ignoring
> > me.
>
> Sorry about lack of replying. Problem is I've got
> a lot of balls to juggle at the moment, and I have a lot
> of problem keeping on top of my email (managed to get inbox
> down to 350 1/Jan now risen to 484). I've also been immersed
> in my own maths computer project which has sucked a lot of time
> recently. Email response time is inversely proportional
> to amount of thinking I need to do and PCPDB take a lot of thinking.

I can grok that, and I'm over my initial grumpy shit... lets be
friends ok ;-)

><big snip>
> > Also, when you say we, who are you talking about? Is there really
> > much interest in this project. I've been watching the weblog pretty
> > closely and have been completely underwhelmed by the response. Not
> > sure how many unique users but only about 100 page requests since I
> > posted the release announcement. I'm seriously questioning if there
> > is a need for this kind of project. It's been fun so far and I've
> > learned a lot, but currently, playing with high availability clusters
> > seems like more of a growth edge for me. Essentially I need to hear
> > that people want this.
>
> As for interest in project, I can give a few examples from pfaf
> web site stats.
> UK database get 15,000 page impressions per week.
> US mirror gets a similar amount.
>
> In the last year we have had about 150 people add
> comments to webpages/database. About a third of those contain
> some sort of relevant plant based info.
>
> And thats with the rather rusty current design which does not allow
> people to add new plants.
>
> OK so 50 relevant additions may not feel like much
> but it does help justify the time I spent adding that
> feature. I had the same feeling as you when we only got
> one comment a week when the comment section was added.
> But time passes and if now feels like a respectable
> body of information has been added.
>
> I do get quite a few emails from people who have been
> compiling their own datasets. With the right interface
> both programatically and legally some of those might
> be willing to merge their data into the project.
> If we got just one of those a year then that would be
> a great benefit to spread of plant knowledge.
>
> I know mikel was enthusiastic about a year ago and seemed
> to have plans to contributing more info.
>
> Really I see see pcpdb as a way of future proofing the pfaf
> dataset. I'm really looking to ten years in the future
> where input from pfaf will be minimised, I'd like to keep
> the dataset alive for prosperity.
>
> So far the db has not been widely publicised and still
> very much in beta, so hits are limited. Heck 100 hits
> is aprox 20 people who have sufficient interest in the
> project to check out an early version.
>
> There is such a vast array of different people who might
> be interested, we have only started skimming the surface.

Yeah, I still teter. It seems like not many would be really benefit
or contribute yet to what I have in mind. Maybe if someone needed a
highly available load balancing cluster of PCDB servers... ;-)

><snip>

Chad Knepp