pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: All things to all people

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: All things to all people
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 23:14:11 +0000

mIEKAL wrote:
> Not being a database programmer, Im have a bit of a go trying to visualize
> exactly what you mean by this... This seems to me to be exactly what is
> needed but until I can interact with it in real time on the net I have no
> clue as to if it will be valuable to us here at Dreamtime, especially the
> interns.

Yep it should be. Basically all you have to create a database in your
favourite database program. When its reached a suitable maturity
you could then release it to the pc-plant group. The database would
then be added to a set of plant databases help in a publicly
accessible area. Third parties (could be yourself) could then write
templates to access the multiple databases. Third parties could also
act as editors, producing their own databases from the those that
already
exist.

Note for techies, it seems trivial to access multiple databases from
a SELECT statement. These SELECT statements would probably form the
basis
of a template.

> Also sometime ago I had mentioned here or on the perm list how I
> want a set up where interns can be logging observations, especially
> phenological data & have that be called up with a catalogue of similar data
> being entered for the same specie from other communities or pc projects.
> In my mind if this could be yet another template that could either be
> installed locally & accessed by a meta-database like you are speaking of...
> OR ... maybe yet another table that is shared by many, with login &
> authorization. Sorry if my comments might be out of sorts with the thread,
> but these are my real concerns & spring is fast approaching..

Nope it seems entirely on topic.

I think keeping things as separate database is a good idea. The pfaf
database consists of about ten tables and the concept of a database
is a good one to keep these tables together.

I guess the first step for you is to start thinking about the
sort of data you want to put into your database. I guess the group
will be able to help you on the table design process.

All the best

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Main Site: Blagdon Cross, Ashwater, Beaworthy, Devon, EX21 5DF, England
Tel: (+44 845) 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org (web related queries only)