ocba - [ocba] Hive Beetle

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Rob Cook <crookkohler AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Hive Beetle
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 20:43:47 +0000 (UTC)

I took advantage of the last of the warm weather yesterday and did an inspection of the hive. I have been feeding the bees and there is a supply of honey that they have stored up in comb and there is some larvae in open cells but not a whole lot of brood. I figure for this time of year the queen is not really looking to create a whole lot of new mouths to feed. I could not find the queen but I know that she is in there. I took out the IPM board from underneath also to provide more ventilation as the weather gets wetter and cooler. This hive swarmed twice during the year, (that I know of) and seems to be a little on the small side. I also noticed that there are a number of hive beetles running around.

Any suggestions for controlling beetles. Thanks everyone.

Rob Crook
Cboro