ocba - Re: [ocba] Visible mites

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Brad Kosiba <bradkosiba AT gmail.com>
  • To: Shadi Cinpinski <shadikaze AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Visible mites
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 07:28:53 -0400

Shadi,

Know that I offer this as help, not criticism, from one who had been there -

Not actually measuring mite loads on a regular basis is like driving a car blindfolded. You might crash and you might not. What you do in response to a higher than desired number is up for discussion. But taking the measurements periodically is not.

I suggest you do sugar shakes now at least on your full sized hives and share the results. Then we can give you good advice. Don't be afraid of finding high numbers.  Most (all?) of us have had that happen.

If you are not confident about doing the test, please ask for help.

Cheers, Brad