ocba - [ocba] Visible mites

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Shadi Cinpinski <shadikaze AT gmail.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Visible mites
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 10:53:04 +0000

Hello,
During a recent hive inspection I actually saw mites, which I know means a high mite load. I was going to wait until Aug/September to use Apiguard, but wanted thoughts about going ahead with treatment now.
Additionally, as a follow-up to an issue you all helped me with involving a new nuc that had the beginnings of wax moths. I ended up buying a queen and shook off some nurse bees from a frame from one of my strong hives-  to speed things up and get a good population. The nuc is now teeming with bees and the inspection last week I saw eggs. Unfortunately, I also saw mites in the nuc. I am worried to include the nuc in my treatment of my other 2 hives. Should I hold off doing so for the nuc for another month? Let it get stronger??

As always, thank you!
Shadi Ana
--
Shadi Cinpinski,