ocba - [ocba] Shaved Ice Business Help

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Jill Hadden <jillhadden AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT mailman1.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Shaved Ice Business Help
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 20:29:41 -0400

A local mom who owns a new and popular shaved ice shop in town is having a problem with bees. She asked in a group I am part of, and I told her I would ask a group of beekeepers with hundreds of combined years of wisdom to see if they have any tips!  I'm not too much help as I'm just starting this year.

The shop is in a downtown area with picnic tables out front. We have been there and noticed the bees drinking the sticky syrup spills from the tables. I only saw honey bees, I'm not sure if there is a yellow jacket issue. They are also getting into the area where they prepare the shaved ice. She is asking for help specifically because she does not want to hurt the bees, but she's in a tough place, not wanting to lose customers, but not wanting to hurt the bees.

Ideas? Wisdom?