ocba - Re: [ocba] Dead baby bees on landing board

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Ans Bilhorn <bilhorna AT bellsouth.net>, "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Dead baby bees on landing board
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 08:21:45 -0400

Ans,

First, don't worry about any of this stuff. It is supposed to be fun, a restful hobby, not a cause of stress.

Second, one possibility is what I discussed in my answer to Bynum yesterday under the subject "Big chill to invade eastern U.S. this weekend, and it may get stuck". Take a look at that answer regarding chilled brood. The temps were in the low 50s last night, not a problem at all for a strong hive but if this is a brand new package or skimpy split then the brood around the edges could have gotten chilled.

Another possibility is a million other things. Without more information, such as the strength of the colony, recent mite counts, etc. it is impossible to give a more definitive answer. From the picture (which is great) we can say what it isn't -- chalkbrood, stonebrood, AFB, EFB, sacbrood -- but not exactly what it is. That said, I'd bet 85 cents on chilled brood or something equally innocuous. Not really a problem.

Randall