ocba - [ocba] Big picture recap

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Big picture recap
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 10:54:27 -0400

Here is a timely post about a 5 year recap of where we have been and sadly after current attacks coming out of DC where we might be headed.

A very well written, through recap of big issues. One of the most notable out of some of the research was this NEW finding!!:

"The January 2016 paper, published in Environment International, identifies two popular neonics, clothianidin and imidacloprid, as disturbing immune signaling in the bee, promoting the replication of illnesses like deformed wing virus (DWV). This finding is key, the authors write, because DWV is commonly found in collapsed colonies. Immune suppression also escalates over time, perhaps eluding typical insecticide field studies."

This is huge news, but who heard about it? Who saw this new study? DWV has ONLY been talked about & taught as a symptom of a high varroa infestation, when actually the truth is it could be from their exposure while foraging. Or both...most likely both.

Its real simple for me, like me or hate me, i don't care. The math doesn't lie!

My view is simple, by making our world better/safer for our bees (inc ALL pollinators) be it our crop production, our yards, our road sides, etc they will flourish. By default that makes things safer & better for us!

The lies being shared that we need to grow more food to "feed a growing population" is false. Again the math doesn't lie. In the US, year after year, we throw away almost 40% of the food we grow! It use to be worse, but its still just under 40% EACH year. That math tells us we are feeding everyone just fine & more importantly we are growing to much food. So revamping our "food system" is needed...not more food or more chemical protection from nature.

As Keepers of Bees we are privileged to see deep into our ecology & have a pulse on our local ecology. After 7 years of this i see an exact parallel connect here locally to the issues described in the article. One i will add is back up by the BEST & MOST informed scientist in our country & folks around the world. Not bee-fear...leading scientists!!

Our Hometown Honey project puts us & our bees in direct contact with 5 area cities and their micro-ecology nuances. We get direct feedback from our bees by tracking their foraging, strength, build up & die offs. This 5 year micro climate study has been enlightening, frustrating & exciting.

Sorry for the rant, but there needs to bee a grounded sane voice in this conversation. Our work & my global beekeeper connections offer me a perspective that is different than that of some, and defiantly in conflict with those making Billions based on lies, but thats ok.

Marty Hanks
Just Bee Apiary

"Where the bees thrive...So shall we"

Sent from my iPhone

  • [ocba] Big picture recap, Marty Hanks, 03/20/2017