ocba - [ocba] Swarmagedon

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Swarmagedon
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 19:18:43 -0400

One of my hives issued 2 simultaneous swarms this afternoon just after the sun came out and the temperature climbed above 60. The two swarms settled within 10-12 feet of each other. One high, one low, both easily recovered. The low one was about 5 pounds of bees. The high one was something less than 3 pounds. I didn’t have time to go into the parent hive to see if anyone was left minding the store, but bees were still coming and going from the entrance as if nothing had happened.

Weird, weird spring.

John Rintoul
(919) 414-4071 (M)

No trees or bees were killed in the distribution of this message, but countless electrons were seriously inconvenienced.

  • [ocba] Swarmagedon, John Rintoul, 03/18/2017