ocba - Re: [ocba] NC legislature considering "pollinator protection" bill

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Doug Edmunds <modfathernc AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] NC legislature considering "pollinator protection" bill
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:40:29 -0400

I hear you, Randall, and believe me, I'm not one to defend the NC legislature on much of anything lately. But this bipartisan bill struck me as encouraging and at the very least constructive in its intent. In no way did it come off as alarmist or misguided to me, nor does it appear to be aimed at calming some public hysteria over bee colony "collapse." On the contrary, its aim is to address the very real potential economic impacts of over-use (not intelligent, careful use) of said pesticides.

For those who wish to take a deep dive (a really deep dive) into the science, as Randall suggests, feel free to explore the 347-page free eBook, Honey Bees-Estimating the Environmental Impacts of Chemicals, available here:

It is based largely on research conducted in Europe, and while it does acknowledge the difficulty in estimating "acute toxicity" (i.e, your bees got killed) vs. "sublethal effects" (i.e., your bees' behavior was negatively impacted, to the detriment of the colony) of specific pesticides in both lab and field studies, due to numerous natural variables, it certainly supports the idea that widespread use of certain pesticides has had a negative impact on overall health of Apis mellifera populations worldwide.

My attention was drawn in particular to chapter 4 (pp 56-66), which provides an excellent review of scientific data and a long list of pesticides classified into three distinct groups as "highly toxic," "moderately toxic," and "relatively nontoxic" to bees. The list provides common names of products side-by-side with chemical names. Very helpful. Long list of research references, too.

Best,
Doug