ocba - Re: [ocba] Moving hives

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Michael Morrissey <mmorrissey AT fastmail.fm>
  • To: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>, Orange Co Beekeepers <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Moving hives
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 20:12:38 -0500

Randal,
 Thanks. We (I'm assisting) are moving all the hives (2) from one location to another about 20 miles.
I didn't think about the screened bottom.

Thanks again.
Michael

--
Michael Morrissey
Durham, NC

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017, at 06:39 PM, Randall Austin wrote:

Michael,

The article <here> has a few suggestions on page 2.

Yes, you can easily cook/suffocate your bees if you seal off the entrance to the extent that the hive is fairly air-tight. But if you've got screened bottoms and use window screen or something similar to close the entrance, you should be fine this time of year.

Are you moving all of the hives out of your bee yard or just a portion of them? If just a portion, any stragglers will find new homes among the bees that remain, so don't agonize too much over losing some foragers.

Randall