ocba - Re: [ocba] Proof in the pudding

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com>
  • Cc: Shadi Cinpinski <shadikaze AT gmail.com>, ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Proof in the pudding
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 10:25:42 -0500

These fiber sheets are for SHB only. They help knock down beetle populations.

Id imaging they are completely useless on wax moths.
Mh

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 10, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com> wrote:

I tried that one year. Nasty stinking mess that had little effect on the wax moth population, at least in my case.

Wax moths exist as a part of nature to clean out old abandoned hive sites and ready them for new hives. They will have little effect on a strong, well populated hive. The best way to limit damage from wax moths is to monitor the strength of the hive. If the hive is weak be sure to reduce the size of the hive to something appropriate. Remove a hive body or move the bees from a single 10 frame hive body to a single 5 frame nuc.

______

Walter

You never can tell with bees. ~ Winnie-the-Pooh