ocba - [ocba] Foraging Report from Chapel Hill

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Thomas Grizzle" <griz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Foraging Report from Chapel Hill
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 14:04:29 -0500

I live on the east side of town and have been seeing bright yellow and pale yellow pollen coming in, lots of it, some so loaded down they could barely waddle into the hive.  Yesterday, I went into my two, two deep, 10 frame hives (third hive starved to death in that uber cold spell) and one hive had an amazing population for January, including many drones.  The bottom deep was completely empty, so I removed it and moved the top deep down and put a new deep on top that was full of honey (from the starved hive).  The second hive was balled up in the upper deep, with a relatively low population.  The top deep had lots of capped honey and pollen, the bottom deep was full of uncapped nectar, as described by someone else.  I have not fed this hive so I am clueless where the nectar is from.  All very interesting and mysterious…

Thomas B. Grizzle

1541 Ferrell Road

Chapel Hill, NC 27517 USA

919.967.5199

griz AT mindspring.com

  • [ocba] Foraging Report from Chapel Hill, Thomas Grizzle, 01/26/2017