ocba - [ocba] Nosema apis

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Brad Kosiba <bradkosiba AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Nosema apis
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 21:10:09 -0500

What do people do when finding lots of telltale orange bee diarrhea spotting on a hive in the winter these days? Nosema can take down a hive when the infected bees are unable to defecate outdoors during cold weather and their sisters have to clean up the soiled comb behind them, passing the disease around the colony.

This happened to mine last year when I was unable to tend bees (fresh new untreated bee sting allergy) and I lost the hive.  This is specifically for Nosema apis that results in the telltale orange spotting that is easy to see on hives.  I would like to know what others are doing as prevention but also as curative for an acute outbreak.

Thanks,

Brad

--
Bradley E Kosiba, PhD
Biochemist-Beekeeper-Gardener-Scouter

  • [ocba] Nosema apis, Brad Kosiba, 01/18/2017