ocba - [ocba] Master Beekeeper Program study group next spring

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Master Beekeeper Program study group next spring
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 18:42:53 -0500

I've had several people ask about having a Master Beekeeper Program Study Group again this spring, as we did this past spring. The intent is that this is a way to assist people who are interested in progressing in the NCSBA MPB Program (Certified/Journeyman/Master/Master Craftsman) by increasing their knowledge, sharing tips for completion of the steps, etc. The study curriculum follows the Study Guide for Journeyman Beekeeper on the NSCBA website.

While we don't check credentials and anyone is welcome to participate, this study group is designed for people who have attended a bee school in the past, have kept bees for several years and have pursued on-going education via attendance at State meetings, reading books, keeping up with the popular beekeeping magazines etc. There will be no remedial education; everyone must keep up on their own.

The format is open discussion facilitated by the study group leader. The group leader isn't the "teacher"; the group members are responsible for teaching each other as part of the group. This makes outside reading and preparation critical for the success of the group. There are monthly reading assignments which participants must complete. In addition, participants must prepare and make presentations to the group on a rotating basis.

We use The Hive and the Honey Bee (2015 edition) as our textbook, although the 1992 edition is acceptable. Be careful when purchasing this book from somewhere other than Dadant; it is very easy to buy the wrong edition. Anything earlier than the 1992 edition will be worthless for the study group. Be especially careful not to confuse this with Langstroth's seminal work with the same title, the first very edition from 1853, which is available new on Amazon and elsewhere, as well as free on books.google.

We had about 20 people participate this past spring. A half dozen took the Journeyman or Master test at the Summer Meeting and most passed. Those that didn't pass this time are certainly better prepared for passing next time.

If you would like to be a part of a MBP Study Group this coming spring, let me know. If there is enough interest, we'll go forward with it. We'll probably meet once per month, from February to June, on a week night that suits most of the participants.  The only requirement is that you are a paid-up, card-carrying member of both the OCBA ($5) and the NCSBA ($15) by the time the group starts. FYI, NCSBA membership is required because you must be a member of NCSBA in order to participate in the MBP.

If you would like to participate, send me an e-mail at ra41717 AT gmail.com (DO NOT REPLY TO THE ENTIRE LISTSERV!!!). Include your name, e-mail, street address and current MBP level. Those who participated last spring are encouraged to do so again.

Randall Austin

  • [ocba] Master Beekeeper Program study group next spring, Randall Austin, 12/10/2016