ocba - Re: [ocba] Oxalic Acid Treatment

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Mark <mpsmith90 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Oxalic Acid Treatment
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 07:54:52 -0500

Hi Thomas,

I too was concerned about the heat generated by my vaporizer when I first used it this fall.  I purchased the Varrox vaporizer along with a thin metal sheet to use as a screened bottom board insert.  After my first time using the vaporizer, I felt the metal board and it was completely cool.  So on the second hive, I used the provided corrugated plastic insert that came with the hive.  The plastic was not warm nor did I see any signs of high heat on the plastic.

My current method is to insert the plastic bottom board, smoke the bees off my screened bottom board, insert the wand until it is half way into the hive, place a dish towel around the entrance to "seal" the hive and connect the wand to my car battery.

So far, I've treated both hives one series of four vaporizer treatments with no signs of burning the plastic.

Hope this helps.

Mark