ocba - [ocba] Oxalic Acid Treatment

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Thomas Grizzle" <griz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Oxalic Acid Treatment
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 15:07:59 -0500

It’s the time of year for kicking mite butt with oxalic acid (OA).  Like many, I use screened (hygenic) bottom boards on my hives (I have three).  I have a plastic board that came with it that inserts along the tracks and I’d like to close off the screening but the vaporizer gets very hot and I fear it will melt the plastic.  When I have the OA vaporizer turned on via a car battery, I can see fumes escaping out the bottom through the screening.  Maybe all is well and good and I should not overthink this, but I’m always looking to maximize mite butt kickage.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions or advice.

Thomas B. Grizzle

1541 Ferrell Road

Chapel Hill, NC 27517 USA

919.967.5199