ocba - Re: [ocba] storing super frames till next spring

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Randy Chellis <crandytoo AT aol.com>, ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] storing super frames till next spring
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 16:41:41 -0400

Hey Randy,

Page 3 of the article <here> has a picture of my racks and talks about storing honey frames. If the comb has only ever had honey in it, then this method works very well for me, no freezing necessary. But if the comb has had brood raised in it or has lots of pollen, I freeze the frames for several days before storing in a dry, bug-proof container.

There are many ways to do the racks. Lewis has some where he simply tacked 3-1/2 inch furring strips all along the underside of the rafters, so the frames hang between the rafters on the lips made by the strips. Any clever configuration will work as long as the frames are exposed to light and air.

Randall