ocba - Re: [ocba] Winter prep

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Rob <crookkohler AT bellsouth.net>, ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Winter prep
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 21:59:20 -0400

Rob,

Yes, it is typically for the bees to be mostly up top this time of year, at least at my place. When they finish filling up the top with the fall nectar flow they should move back down to the bottom.

How much brood you have this time of year depends on what sort of queen you have. A thrifty queen may have already begun cutting back on egg-laying in preparation for winter. That's not a bad thing at all, as long as you have lots of bees already. Other queens lay pretty much the time, or don't slow down until later. Genetics is a big factor (for example, Carniolans are known for being thrifty and Italians are known for being extravagant), and also simply colony-to-colony variation.

As I was inspecting hives today, I looked for the queen and a nice-sized bunch of bees. I wasn't concerned with brood. If you've got a queen, a sufficient amount of bees and abundant honey stores, then (in general) you are ready for winter.

Have you done a post-treatment varroa assessment? Many folks, including myself, have been surprised by high mite numbers despite treating with ApiGuard this fall. It is worth checking.

Randall