ocba - [ocba] Further information on my mite count of 22

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Nerissa Rivera <nerissa.rivera AT duke.edu>
  • To: "'ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Further information on my mite count of 22
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 12:06:29 +0000

Hi all!

A week ago I reported on the very high mite count I found on one of my hives after treating with ApiVar.  Don Hopkins was kind enough to come by on Friday evening and we did another sugar shake test.  This confirmed the really high mite count.  It was so high we never even counted all of them.  This weekend I installed a tin of ApiGuard.  I’m leaving town and my husband will be feeding the hives during my absence.  He will put in a new tray of Apiguard in 2 weeks.  That one will stay until I return and can do another post treatment test.  I hope to find that this knocks down the mite population.

I was looking back at my notes and when I did a test in late June on the same hive the mite count was 3.  Although as a beekeeper I am appalled and worried that the hive still had such a high mite count after treatment (22), the science nerd in me is amazed at the proliferation of the mites (right on schedule) in late summer.  This just confirms the need for testing and treating in a timely manner.

Nerissa

Nerissa Rivera

Associate Director

The Karsh Office of Undergraduate Financial Support

nerissa.rivera AT duke.edu

2127 Campus Drive Addition

Durham, NC 27708

919 684 6225

919 660 9811  FAX

  • [ocba] Further information on my mite count of 22, Nerissa Rivera, 09/12/2016