ocba - [ocba] Potential swarming colony?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Tricia Weiner <tbeckerjewelry AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Potential swarming colony?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 11:23:51 -0400

Hi everyone!   I have been happily watching my first and only colony grow this year, using all medium boxes starting from a box in April .   Today I watched them start to emerge and turn into a massive amount of bees flying around my yard (first time this many and at this expanse) , at their front entrance, create a small ball at in the weeds at the front entrance and make more noise than I have ever heard.   This was all by 830am.  This to me sounded and looked like the start of a swarm.

I added the 6th medium box with 10 empty frames today, and fed again.  I sprayed all the bees at the entrance with sugar water syrup.  I did not go into the hive at the hopes of not disturbing them any more.  They calmed down, decreased the activity to normal level within 20 minutes.

I think I have to go in and look for signs of queen cells in the brood nest.    Would any one have time today or tomorrow morning to help me?   I live near Lowes at 15/501 where Sage and Erwin meet in Chapel Hill.    If possible, can I split this hive if there is signs of a swarm?  How do I best save the colony and encourage them to stay?  I will have to get more boxes and frames to create another hive if that is a possibility.

Thanks for any help anyone could offer!  Have a great day.
Tricia Weiner
cell: 201-736-5604

btw- in regards to my previous HOA issue- it has peacefully resolved!

--
Happily,
Tricia

Happiness Is The Key!