ocba - Re: [ocba] Unscientific survey

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Unscientific survey
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 12:57:08 -0400

John

This is the experience i see in all my hives. Up to 40 at one point. PS
shakes are our main "treatment" besides IPM boards, full sun, splits &
natural selection (survivor stock breeding) its our go to. Varroa have become
resistant to 3 chems, but have yet to grow 10 more arms to hang on better! 😀😜

Dry feeding your bees while treating should be considered the best option
especially when PS is a 2 for 1.

Sadly its not a silver bullet solution as it only works on exposed varroa. So
timely treatments are key. Early spring, on new swarms or packages, 10 days
after splits and in late fall. That is more critical.

One side note id share its best to not do it in a dearth. Especially if it
rains. Most of the PS falling through the screen & mixing with rain can
create robbing issues. Trust me...😣

Marty

Sent from my iPhone