ocba - [ocba] Unscientific survey

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Rintoul <beecd AT icloud.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Unscientific survey
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2016 11:24:52 -0400

I've done sugar shakes on each of my 3 hives and the hives of 2 new
beekeepers that I am helping. So far none of the 5 hives has had more than 1
mite. It seems weirdly low to me.

I have not yet seen a small hive beetle this year either. 2 of my hives are
in deep shade where SHB numbers are reputedly high. In past years I have
usually seen 10-20 SHB corralled on top of the inner cover in my hives. Not
one this year - yet.

Of course we all need to stay 'varroa vigilant'©, but I am curious know
whether other Orange County beekeepers are experiencing similar differences
in hive predator numbers between this year and prior years.

John Rintoul
(919) 414-4071