ocba - [ocba] Spicebush & hive beetles

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Mark Smith <mgeesmith AT juno.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Spicebush & hive beetles
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 12:37:13 -0400

Hey, bee folks!
We have been on a bit of a native plants kick here lately, and one of the ones newly arrived here is
Calycanthus floridus—Carolina spicebush, eastern sweetshrub.
I googled it the other night, and was a little taken aback to see that "They are pollinated by beetles in the Nitidulidae family." - which includes the small hive beetles!!?! (Note that the description doesn't specifically say that the hive beetle is a pollinator for sweetshrub, just members of that family – and my brain is having a little bit of trouble with the basic history of the small hive beetle not being native to North America, how that fits in, etc.)
At any rate, I would be interested in any information or opinions on this - particularly whether having sweetshrub on the premises might attract or encourage hive beetles?
Mark Smith

  • [ocba] Spicebush & hive beetles, Mark Smith, 04/29/2016