ocba - [ocba] HELP signs of a problem?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Fadem, Bronwyn Elizabeth" <bfadem AT live.unc.edu>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] HELP signs of a problem?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 14:37:47 +0000

Hi all,

Just starting out beekeeping with 2 hives that were established in summer
2013 and 2014. They have never been treated for mites or fumigated. They have
been thriving, there are signs the Queen is still laying, and our supers are
already full of capped honey!

But...

After seeing spotty brood pattern and multiple supercedure cells, I thought
maybe just an old queen. But I want to be sure it's not varroa or AFB. The
spottyness, darker cappings in some areas, some flakey uncapped brood and
capped brood with small holes are also making me nervous. Can anyone diagnose
the issue from these photos?

If there is an issue, is the second hive that looks ok right now at risk for
developing whatever it is?

Thanks SO much in advance!

Bronwyn Fadem