ocba - Re: [ocba] Sugar shake

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Sugar shake
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 22:46:45 -0400

I have never noticed any critters like this in a sugar shake.  I am wondering if your sugar was infested with something.  As an experiment, try putting a couple of tablespoons of your powdered sugar in your sugar shake jar without bees.  Shake this on to some water on the bucket lid.  If you are shaking critters in this experiment they are coming from the sugar, not the bees.

Here is a pretty good poster about the ins and outs of collecting 300 bees for your sample.

Lewis