ocba - [ocba] Digressing form Re: Property Owner wishing to host beehives

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Chris and Lisa Laudeman <chrisandlisa AT laudeman.com>
  • To: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Digressing form Re: Property Owner wishing to host beehives
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 10:18:30 -0400

So,

Marty's note reminded me of a question I've had for some time. Maybe someone has a handy answer.

To what extend do bees forage pollen from wind-blown pollinators, e.g. grasses, oaks?

Observing bees over the years, I've never seen them on blooming grasses or corn or "male" oak flowers. I've always assumed they foraged pollen exclusively from simple blossoms and composite flowers where they can collect pollen from the anthers.

Chris