ocba - [ocba] Nectar Flow Already?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Thomas Grizzle" <griz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Nectar Flow Already?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 15:39:08 -0500

Hi All,

I went into my two backyard hives (within Chapel Hill city limits) this afternoon and much to my surprise there was frame after frame of a miscellaneous clear, sweet tasting liquid material.  Could this be nectar already?  Is anyone else seeing this happening too?  I guess it is conceivable that they are robbing someone else’s hive of sugar water but it was so widespread in both hives (and with global warming kicking in) that I thought perhaps this was either the start of a new norm, an earlier start to the flow, or maybe we are within the range of normal and this is just an early year.

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

Thomas B. Grizzle

griz AT mindspring.com