ocba - [ocba] Volunteering to Guide a First Year Cluster

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: David Eckert <daveckert AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Volunteering to Guide a First Year Cluster
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 21:03:29 -0500

Hi OCBA Members,

I hope everyone has been enjoying this brief little warm spell and found nice healthy, well fed winter clusters out stretching their wings!

I'm writing today because it's almost that time again.  Time for the day time temps to allow our bees to start flying, time for the pollen and nectar to start rolling in, and time for our colonies to start producing the new bees that will pollinate our gardens and pack our supers full of honey.

AND .... speaking of new bees, it will soon be time for a group of new beekeepers to graduate from OCBA's 2016 Bee School!  Which means that it's almost time for some of us beekeepers that have had our bees for a few years to lend a hand and help these new beekeepers get their beekeeping adventures started off right.

I'm looking for 10 to 15 beekeepers with a couple of years of experience to volunteer to guide a First Year Cluster of new beekeepers through their first year of beekeeping.

What is a First Year Cluster you ask?

Well, I'll tell you!  It is a group of 2 to 5 new beekeepers that are located near each other and are paired with 1 or 2 nearby beekeepers with a couple of years experience in keeping bees.  The First Year Clusters are intended to meet at least once a month in a cluster member's apiary from April to September and to help the new beekeepers get their hives established and through their first winter.

If you think you might be interested in guiding a First Year Cluster and want to know more about it, please take a look at http://theocba.org/cluster-volunteers/ and please consider filling out the form at the bottom to volunteer.

Thanks for helping out!
David