ocba - [ocba] Bees Busy / Pollen

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Scott Sipe <cscotts AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Bees Busy / Pollen
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 16:01:06 -0500

My one remaining hive in a single 10-frame deep--my other have apparently
absconded in the fall--has been quite busy over the last few weeks. Even
right now, about 4pm and in the shade, there is quite the coming and going.
I'm noticing some bright orange pollen being brought back (I believe the same
pollen I've seen for a couple of months now), and also some paler tan /
beige-ish stuff that I don't recall seeing before. Anybody know what that
might be?

This is my first winter with bees, and while it's certainly been abnormal
temperature-wise, I've been really surprised to see how much activity has
been going on, and how much pollen (and presumably nectar?) the bees are
bringing back now.

Scott