ocba - [ocba] Varroa count

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Phil DeGuzman <phil.deguzman AT gmail.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Varroa count
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 15:35:18 -0400

So this past weekend was my first attempt to do a true Varroa count on my hives (after three winters of suffering in silence I decided I would try and manage my mite load this year). My eyes are as good as they used to be, and even with a magnifying glass I wasn't able to clearly count the mites versus other debris. But, with the iPhone, I was able to snap a picture, then pinch-zoom to get my count.

See the attached. I counted 17 mites (from a sample of about 1/2 Cup or 300 of bees). So I implemented a Thymol (ApiGuard) treatment--will treat again in two weeks according to the instructions, then re-check the mite load.

Anyhow, I thought that others might benefit from my mite-counting tip.

--
"There is nothing quite so useless, as doing with great efficiency, something that should not be done at all." ― Peter F. Drucker

  • [ocba] Varroa count, Phil DeGuzman, 08/31/2015