ocba - [ocba] question about wasps

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Catherine Wright <catherine.wright AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] question about wasps
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 19:44:01 -0400

Hi everyone:

The property manager of my neighborhood contacted me today about what the association thought were ground-dwelling bees at our neighborhood playground. The board apparently had an exterminator come out a while back to treat an area. Now there are "bees" in all four sand play areas of the playground. I was asked if I had any contacts for someone the HOA could talk to find a better remedy -- there were some complaints today from residents.

I went out and checked and what I found were actually two types of wasps. I believe one is a sand wasp (Stictia); I haven't identified the other yet. That one is thin, black with a bluish tip to its abdomen -- seems quite wispy with a fluttering movement -- and it seems to actually be nesting in one of the plastic playground sets (which is obviously holding water, since I noticed dripping). Any resources I can suggest or remedies? Attached are photos I took of the insects.

Thanks,

Catherine
919.644.2783

Inline image 1

Inline image 2

  • [ocba] question about wasps, Catherine Wright, 06/14/2015