ocba - Re: [ocba] Moving hives

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Mike Johnson <mm AT reddrum.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Moving hives
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 16:20:23 -0400

I am no expert, but I can tell you about my few years of experience.  Originally I had a hive that was shaded for much of the day.  The next year I got two new hives and decided to put them in nearly full sun.  The hives that are in the sun are much, much more active than the hives with less sun.  In the winter the hives that got sun earlier heated up sooner and those bees got out much earlier, and more often, than the hives that did not get as much sun.

So, from my experience, the more sun the merrier.  But, there are always compromises and if the hive has good sun by 9 I would feel good about the location.  Keep in mind that as we twirl around the sun throughout the year the direction of the morning sun changes.

I may be corrected here, and that’s fine, but I think it is more about the heat than it is the light.  I have hives turned sideways to the morning sun and those come out about the same time as the hives where the entrance is facing the sun.

mike