ocba - [ocba] Honey collection

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Elizabeth Pratson <epratson AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Honey collection
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 20:15:39 -0400

I have a question about timing of honey extraction. It seems like the honey
flow is not quite over (still seeing some tulip poplar flowers in the tops of
the trees), however my bees seem to be very honey bound, and running out of
room to lay eggs in the bottom deep frames. They are very slow to put honey
in the supers, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on:
1)Timing of honey extraction
2) Is there a way to encourage bees to put honey in the supers instead of
the deeps (I saw something about spaying sugar water on your supers)
3) Do you recommend extracting now to open up some space in the deep frames.

Thanks for any advice,
Elizabeth Pratson