ocba - [ocba] Need queen cell or possibly swarm

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: English Family <englishfamily06 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Need queen cell or possibly swarm
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:22:39 -0400

Hi folks

Our colony is officially queen-less.  There is no evidence of a living queen and no queen cells.  We attempted to re-queen a few days ago with a purchased queen in a cage from the local bee supply place.  Apparently we ended up with a bad queen because although she was doing well when we put her cage in the hive, on day 3 when we went to check on her progress on getting out of the cage, she was dead with no visible injuries.

We were baffled as the colony itself had seemed to be reacting as if they were accepting her (much calmer and more "orderly" than they had been prior to introducing).  So now we are queen-less and not really wanting to purchase another caged queen, as we have had little success in the past with this method.  We would like to try and introduce a queen cell.  If anyone has a queen cell available, please let me know.

If we cannot procure a queen soon, we will have to let this colony die out.  So we would be happy to take a swarm or nuc if anyone has something like that available.

Thanks!
Melissa English