ocba - [ocba] Spring? Beware the ides of March

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Spring? Beware the ides of March
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:10:04 -0400

It is great to finally see signs of spring but remember that the main honey flow has NOT begun yet (all beekeeping is local and you may have special circumstances, but this true for most of us). Our bee populations are rapidly growing and can easily outpace the available nectar supply. They can starve with pretty flowers blooming all around. Our worries will be over when the tulip poplar bloom begins.

Keep a careful eye on your hives' honey stores this time of year. Speaking from experience, it is extremely sad to bring a strong colony through the winter only to have it starve to death a few weeks before "payoff time". An article about this is <here>.

Randall Austin