ocba - [ocba] 2 queens, 1-1/2 hives

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Janet Weinberg <janetweinberg AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] 2 queens, 1-1/2 hives
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 21:51:34 -0700

I have a good strong hive with a good queen.  I made a nuke from a weak hive early Sept. with a new, very good queen that has really produced new bees. (constant 1:1 sugar water and pollen) My problem:  I don't think the nuke is strong enough to make another hive before consistent cold weather sets in. I don't want to combine it with the hive I have because both queens are so good and productive.  I'm thinking I could keep the nuke, maybe take some bees from the other hive in Dec. (newspaper method) and both would have a good winter.  I would keep feeding, of course.  I did call a couple Bee farms but they have no bees to buy which I would really like because then I could change the nuke into a hive.   Also, I have frames of honey in the freezer to supplement the hives if needed this winter.   What should I do?
Thanks.  This is such a wonderful site.  I have learned so much!
Janet
919-563-4224