ocba - Re: [ocba] Dead bees/hive

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Just Bee <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: "<thor0510 AT gmail.com>" <thor0510 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Dead bees/hive
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 16:07:10 -0400

Thorsten,

It's hard to do a post op exam, but yes if you see piles of bees out front (not just larvae) and piled up all over the bottom board chances are high the girls got into something nasty.

I've had this very same senerio at my yards. One hive gets hit while the others are thriving. Just goes to show how diverse and different minded our bees are.

The only clear way to know is to  send a cup of bees off to have them tested. But again healthy hive one day....thousands of dead bees 10 days later is almost a sure sign.

As for equipment I'd cut out the comb and bury it. Bleach then wash with soap the frames then air dry. Some folks like to use a hand torch to go over the outside of the frame.  This is one of those areas where you know the saying...ask 5 Beekeepers get 10 answers.

You are spot on to be conserved about contamination. You could lay a sheet over it til tomorrow or block any entrances.

Good luck! Hate to hear it.
Marty

Sent from my iPhone