ocba - [ocba] Dead bees/hive

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: <thor0510 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Dead bees/hive
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 19:37:30 +0000

H all,
I just got back from a 10 day trip and walking around my hives I noticed many many many dead bees piled up right in front one hive. There is still the occasional bee buzzing out of the hive. The hive was healthy before I left.
I’ll do an inspection tomorrow but I’m sure the hive is dead.
First thought that comes to my mind is that they got a pesticide into the hive.
My other hives seem to be unaffected (they are on the other side of my property) and I don’t want them to start robbing the dead hive and drag whatever killed it to my healthy hives.
If it was some pesticide should I discard all the frames, supers…..?
Any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks,
Thorsten