ocba - Re: [ocba] Seeking Help again

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Starks, Walter" <Walter.Starks AT facilities.unc.edu>
  • To: George Morris <juncus215 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Seeking Help again
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 15:36:59 +0000

George
A single deep seems a little small for your brood area. 2 deeps or 3 mediums
are very common. I use 2 deeps and that sometimes seems a little crowded. You
might think about adding a second deep to stop the swarm before it happens if
the bees haven't started making swarm cells yet.

If they have started building swarm cells you can split the hive to simulate
a swarm. Easier than trying to catch a real one.

I'm sure Don or Will can offer great advice regarding this when they come out.

______

Walter

Sent from my iPhone