ocba - [ocba] Adding brood boxes

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Starks, Walter" <Walter.Starks AT facilities.unc.edu>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Adding brood boxes
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 12:40:08 +0000

I got several new nucs this year. They were all very strong and it wasn't
long before I needed to add another deep on my 8 frame hives. Yesterday I was
checking one of the new hives and found 2 swarm cells. I removed the cells
but I could see that the bottom deep has a honey barrier across the top of it
and in the top deep the bees are starting to draw out the foundation but I
don't see any eggs.

I moved a couple of brood frames from the middle of the bottom deep to the
top deep hoping to encourage the queen to move also and break the honey
barrier. I'm wondering though if maybe I should have just added the new brood
boxes to the bottom of the hive instead of the top in the first place? Could
also use some advice for what to do if I continue to find swarm cells? The
hive is building up nicely but they've only filed about 60% of the 2 deeps
they are in, I'm afraid a split now would make 2 very weak hives.

______

Walter

Sent from my iPhone

  • [ocba] Adding brood boxes, Starks, Walter, 06/02/2014