ocba - [ocba] Swarm prevention splits?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Ellis Driver <ellisdriver AT gmail.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Swarm prevention splits?
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:29:18 -0400

Hello!

I have a 2 deep hive that has filled one honey super and is working on the second.  They have no mites or beetles and have been strong ever since I got this package last year.  I noticed about a dozen swarm cells yesterday though, and a few that were capped.  It seems like I don't have a lot of time and i was thinking about doing my first split.

I heard you can get all the frames with swarm cells in one super and leave the queen in the other and put them facing each other on the original spot, then rotate.  That is my current plan but I am wondering if people have had success with this or if i should just purchase a queen ASAP but it seems like I might not have time.  Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Ellis