ocba - Re: [ocba] Robbing

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Bes Baldwin <besbaldwin AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Robbing
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 09:50:26 -0400

Hi Janet,

I have observed the same thing in my hives and wondered if these bees were of a different race/strain.  They seem to have arrived with the packages I installed on April 19th, or found their way to the feed (honey) shortly thereafter.  I also thought they might be robbing, but I stopped feeding after a few weeks and expected that these interlopers would diminish in numbers without the 'free lunch,' but there are just as many (or more) in the hive now.

Everybody in my hives seems happy so I haven't worried about it, but find it interesting you have observed the same.

In addition to being a darker color and *significantly* larger than the 'regular' bees, they have a wider, flatter hind leg segment below the pollen basket.  The difference between the two types is striking.

Bes Baldwin

Janet wrote:  While watching one of my hives I noticed some bees around it that were not honey bees.  They were a bit larger and seemed to have a mostly?black abdomen.
--
“The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our
wits to grow sharper."

--Eden Phillpotts