ocba - Re: [ocba] Advice needed and maybe some brood

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Advice needed and maybe some brood
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:51:28 -0400 (EDT)

I found some info on introducing Russian queens here that I believe is probably credible.  http://www.owa.cc/?p=content&c=5&i=33

I think your colony will be fine once your new queen is up and running.  Your bees are not particularly motivated at the moment to build comb as they have little use for it.  If there had been a queen in the swarm, I believe all of your foundation would be drawn by now (provided that they had enough food to do it).

My main concern is the development of laying workers during this extended queenless period.  A frame of open brood right now I believe would be a good insurance policy against that possible outcome.

Lewis